Close X

When Can Spousal Support Be Modified?

Posted by Robert Luttrell | May 31, 2018 | 0 Comments

Many divorced individuals either pay or receive spousal support after they end their marriage. However, sometimes a change in circumstances warrants an alteration to the previously ordered support amount. Whether you are paying or receiving spousal support, if you wish to have the payments adjusted or terminated, you may be able to request a legal modification.

What the Courts Consider

Texas courts will only consider making a change to a court-ordered spousal support payment if there is a valid reason. Some of the most common reasons to seek a modification are remarriage, cohabitation, or other types of significant life changes. If you or your spouse remarries or lives with someone else, the court sees this is a drastic financial change and will readjust the support payments accordingly. In cases of remarriage, support will be terminated immediately, whereas cohabitation must be proven to the court before payments can be legally ended.

If either individual experiences a significant change in income, such as a job loss or a substantial promotion, the court may also have reason to reconsider the current payments. Additionally, if either spouse experiences a serious medical or health change, goes to jail, or faces any other life-altering changes, the court may reconsider the support payments.

How To Seek a Modification

When you believe you have a valid reason to request a modification to your spousal support, the first thing you need to do is file a motion with the court that initially issued the alimony. The court will then review your case and determine whether or not there are grounds for a legal termination.

This process isn't always easy, which is why it is best to work with an experienced divorce attorney. If you need help adjusting your spousal support payments, or you wish to terminate payments, our Cleburne divorce attorney can help.

Contact the Law Office of Robert E. Luttrell III to discuss your case with our Cleburne divorce attorney.

About the Author

Robert Luttrell

Learn more about Attorney at Law, Robert E. Luttrell III Attorney Robert E. Luttrell III is a dedicated attorney who has years of experience in various types of law including family, divorce, child custody, criminal defense, b...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Initial Consultation

Call (817) 645-6600 or use our online form to request your initial consultation with a trusted Johnson County family lawyer.

Our Philosophy

Our goal is to make the legal process as smooth for you as possible, helping you find cost-effective, swift results so you can successfully move forward. This means our Cleburne family law attorney can help you build a tailored strategy for the here and now, a legal strategy that can help you reach a satisfactory solution for the long term.

The Law Office of Robert E. Luttrell
817.558.2434 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm