Close X

Modifications to Divorce and Child Custody Agreements in Cleburne TX

Modification of a Divorce Decree or a Child Support Order or Visitation Schedule Is Necessary In Many Cases.   

When you are going through a divorce, it is easy to see the here-and-now but planning for the future, as always, can be difficult. For this reason, many people find that the provisions drafted in initial divorce agreements no longer work for them after a few years, placing them under undue duress in their day-to-day lives. If you have found yourself in such a situation, you may want to consider requesting modifications of your divorce agreement to make your life easier.

For legal help with all matters related to family law in Texas, you can turn to The Law Office of Robert E. Luttrell III. Our Cleburne divorce lawyer has more than 15 years of proven, trial-tested experience that has always been geared towards our clients' best interests. Contact us today, ask about our services, and schedule an initial consultation.

Modifications You May Want to Request

When you know that a certain part of your divorce agreement is causing you trouble, you should attempt to do something about it. A modification is a petition you submit to the court to have some aspect of your divorce officially changed. If your ex-spouse has not approved of the modification, they will be notified by the court and given some time – usually 30 days – to accept or reject your petition.

To name a few factors of your divorce agreement you may want to change:

Is the modification Necessary?

Before signing off on any modification petition, the court will want to review it to see if the proposed changes are even necessary. If you are unable to prove that the current agreement is creating undue stress and hardship in your life, the court will likely keep them standing. Additionally, you should not expect any modification to be approved if the court deems it is not to the best interest of any of your children.

 Some occurrences that could validate your modification petition:

  • Unexpected job loss
  • Required to move to keep employment
  • Severe illness or injury
  • Ex-spouse remarries
  • Child's needs change
  • Unable to find reliable transportation

Prepare your Argument with Our Help

Every modification case comes down to whether or not the court can see things your way. Even if you and your ex-spouse both agree that a modification will be useful, you need to create a valid case to bring the court so it is not rejected, perhaps due to a clerical error. Team up with our Cleburne family lawyer to draft a modification petition that works best for you.

Initial Consultation

Call (817) 645-6600 or use our online form to request your initial consultation with a trusted Johnson County family lawyer.

Our Philosophy

Our goal is to make the legal process as smooth for you as possible, helping you find cost-effective, swift results so you can successfully move forward. This means our Cleburne family law attorney can help you build a tailored strategy for the here and now, a legal strategy that can help you reach a satisfactory solution for the long term.

The Law Office of Robert E. Luttrell
817.558.2434 (fax)
Mon: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Tue: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Wed: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Thu: 08:30am - 05:00pm
Fri: 08:30am - 05:00pm