Getting a divorce is a stressful and often emotionally difficult process. Many people don't want to go through the court system and hire a lawyer, thinking that this will take too long and cost too much money. In recent years, online divorce sites have started advertising as quick and easy alternatives to traditional divorce methods, providing people with the necessary documents to file without having to go to court. However, if you are thinking about getting an online divorce, there are several drawbacks that you should consider before choosing this option.
Why should you avoid getting an online divorce? Here are 5 main reasons:
- It is complicated. While some divorces may be relatively simple, most are complex. If there are a large number of assets or debts, you and your spouse will have to decide on how to divide the property between the two of you. Furthermore, if children are involved, you will need to determine a child custody and visitation arrangement that meets the child's best interests. Alimony and child support payments must also be taken into consideration when filing for divorce. While online divorce sites provide the paperwork for these things, they do not necessarily provide advice on how to make the complicated legal decisions. Thus, without the help of an attorney, you will have to navigate these complex issues on your own.
- You may make decisions you regret. The decisions you make in your divorce are legally binding. This means they cannot be changed, unless there is a significant change in circumstances later on for you or your ex-spouse. Thus, having to make decisions about complicated legal issues without the advice of a knowledgeable lawyer can lead to regret. You may make decisions that are not in your financial favor, or you may agree to terms that hinder your relationship with your children in the long run. Thus, online and do-it-yourself divorce may result in regrettable decisions.
- State & county laws are different. Divorce laws differ from state to state, and sometimes from county to county. While online divorce sites offer paperwork for general laws, they may not provide the exact details and forms that your particular county requires. If you don't do thorough research, you may miss essential information or file the incorrect forms. Thus, having an experienced divorce attorney can help ensure you meet all the requirements for the state and county where you are seeking a divorce.
- The benefits don't necessarily outweigh the costs. Online divorce websites advertise as cheap, simple, and quick ways to obtain a divorce. However, they often still charge some money, and do not provide assistance for making complicated legal decisions. This means you may actually spend more time and energy trying to figure out the necessary forms you must file than if you had the help of a lawyer. You will also have to do research to learn complex legal definitions and terms related to your case. The stress of filing for divorce through a do-it-yourself website is often much greater than hiring a knowledgeable attorney to walk you through the process.
- You may still have to go to court after filing online. Even after using online divorce sites, you may still have to go to court. If you file the incorrect forms, fail to meet the specific requirements of the state or county where you are filing, or have complicated issues in your case, the judge may require you to come in and review the forms before finalizing them. Furthermore, if you and your spouse cannot agree on a decision, or there is a high level of animosity and negative emotions involved, it may be difficult to file online. Cooperation is often required to obtain a divorce through online sites, and you may need to get legal representation for mediation or litigation if you cannot reach a mutual agreement on every issue.
Call Our Cleburne Divorce Attorney for Passionate Representation at (817) 645-6600.
At The Law Office of Robert E. Luttrell III, we provide personal legal services to clients who are facing divorce. While you may want to skip the court process and pursue a divorce online, this may actually do more harm than good. Our knowledgeable Cleburne divorce lawyer is committed to meeting clients' legal needs. From start to finish, we can answer your questions, discuss the important legal issues of your case, help you file the necessary paperwork, and provide informative services so you can make decisions that will benefit you. With our tenacious divorce attorney by your side, you can seek a beneficial outcome to your case.
Contact us today for a free initial consultation, and discuss your case with our dedicated legal advocate.